The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing occupational health and safety standards that must be followed by employers. Labour legislation falls primarily under the jurisdiction of Canada’s provinces and territories. However, the federal Labour Program is the occupational health and safety (OHS) regulatory authority for workplaces designated under federal jurisdiction.
To comply with OHS standards, employers must keep the workplace clean, sanitary, and in good repair to eliminate risks to the health and safety of workers.
What is Jobsite Sanitation?
- Employers are required to provide Jobsite sanitation facilities immediately available to all workers. This includes clean drinking water, toilets, waste bins, and washing facilities.
What Does Jobsite Sanitation Involve?
Jobsite sanitation requires the workers to be provided with the following facilities in order to comply with OHS regulations:
- Fresh water that is safe to drink and meets the quality standards established by the Minister of National Health and Welfare. Any water sources that are not safe for drinking must be labeled as such.
- Toilet facilities must be provided for all workers.
- Washing stations are required at all job sites
- Waste Bins are also required
Portable Sanitation Requirements on a Job Site
Employers are required to provide toilet facilities for all workers. If no sanitary sewer facilities are available at a particular job site, privies, chemical toilets, recirculating toilets, or combustion toilets must be provided.
The number of toilets required is based on the number of workers at the site:
- 20 workers or less- one toilet
- 20 or more workers-1 toilet seats and 1 urinal per 40 workers
- 200 or more workers-1 toilet seats and 1 urinal per 50 workers
- Under temporary field conditions, not less than one toilet must be available.
If workers are doing any painting, coating, herbicide or insecticide spraying, or any other construction tasks where contaminants may harm them, washing stations must be provided and must meet the following requirements:
- Each washing station or lavatory must have hot and cold running water or tepid running water
- Each washing station must have hand soap or similar products. Some work types may require specialized personal cleaning products.
- Each washing station must have individual hand towels, warm air blowers, or clean individual sections of continuous cloth toweling.
- Waste bins are also required on every job site, again to keep the work areas safe and clean.
Benefits of Jobsite Sanitation
Jobsite sanitation provides many benefits to workers as well as to employers:
- Healthy environment-Jobsite sanitation will ensure that all waste is held in one area of your job site and regularly removed by the toilet providers.
- Employee Satisfaction-Brief bathroom breaks are accommodated by having a sufficient number of portable toilets onsite. This helps the employees to finish their work in a timely manner and without added hassles.
- Enhanced Productivity-It’s been proven that happy employees are more productive. Having an adequate supply of toilets, washing stations, and potable water makes for a more pleasant working situation.
Why Choose Fenceline Rentals Ltd?
- Fenceline Rentals Ltd has been serving the Edmonton area for over 20 years.
- When you choose our company for your Jobsite sanitation needs, you’re choosing a large local company that can provide the smallest or largest job sites with all of the sanitation supplies and equipment needed.
- We will work with you to ensure that your job site is clean and sanitary and is in compliance with all health and safety regulations.
- We have earned a solid reputation in the area, and many of our customers have been using our services for 10 years or more.
- We have over 800 active ongoing projects, but we are able to provide our customers with the personal attention each one deserves.
- We believe in giving back to the community that we serve, by donating $ 30,000 in services every year to local nonprofits and charities.
- Whatever your needs, we have a rental option to meet them.
Fenceline Rentals Ltd. has been a locally owned business in Edmonton, AB since 1998, supplying events in the area with temporary fence rentals, portable toilet rentals, recycling services, dog runs, and much more. We continue to expand our products into new markets, and you can always count on us for reliable service. When you work with us, we strive to establish a relationship with you, which we reinforce with value-added solutions for your event needs. Our company believes in giving back to the community, and we actively donate our services to local charities and not-for-profit organizations every year. If you’re looking for a rental company with a dedication to safety and complete customer satisfaction, put your trust in FenceLine Rentals, Ltd. We have the products you need to keep your events running smoothly. For more information, visit our website, or call us at 780-720-6300